The UNCF CenterPoint Energy STEM and Business Administration Scholarship is directed towards academically achieving undergraduate students at any UNCF member institution or Historically Black College/University. CenterPoint Energy is one of the leading Fortune 500 electric and gas utilities, which provides exeptional services to eight states within the United States of America. They have an unwavering commitment to safely and reliably deliver electricity and natural gas to millions of customers.
CenterPoint Energy has partnered with UNCF to establish the CenterPoint Energy STEM and Business Administration Scholarship Program. This scholarship is focused on providing financial assistance to ensure that students have access to a quality college education. The CenterPoint Energy Scholarship will focus on the selected fields of business, engineering, science, mathematics and technology. The candidates must be enrolled as an upcoming freshmen within the 2021-22 Academic year. The eligble candidates must have maintained a cumulative grade point average of 2.75 at the time of this application. The selected recipients will be eligible for renewal awards upon their continual adherence to the program guidelines and have established financial need by their institution each year.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.
- Be a citizen, national, or permanent resident of the U.S.
- File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (“FAFSA”) form.
- Have a demonstrated, unmet financial need as verified by their college or university.
- Plan to enroll as a full-time freshman student at any UNCF member institution or any Historically Black College/ University (HBCU).
- Must be a permanent resident in the following states: Arkansas, Indiana, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Ohio, Oklahoma and Texas.
- Must major in the fields of business, engineering, technology, mathematics, science and technology.
For full award consideration, students must complete the online application by September 8, 2021.
- Applicants must submit via UNCF’s online scholarship application portal. All parts of the application must be completed and submitted by the deadline.
- Essay – Applicants must submit a one-page personal statement online, regarding the student’s career goals or interest.
- A final high school transcript.
- Submit one letter of recommendation from a non-family member.
Letter of Recommendation Guidance
One letter of recommendation (LOR) is required to complete this application. The recommender must be a non-relative. The LOR must be made through the online Applicant System and must be received by the application due date. Emailed LORs will not be accepted.
Applicants should give the recommender ample time to complete the LOR by entering all recommender information (name and email) as early as possible. The recommender will be sent automated instructions at the email address provided to submit the LOR in the Applicant System. Applicants will receive "Invite References" reminders until a recommender is invited.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please contact William Dunham (William.Dunham@uncf.org) if you have questions or comments.