NEW APPLICATION DEADLINE: DECEMBER 1, 2022
Developed in partnership with UNCF, the CBS Sports HBCU Scholarship Program will provide need-based scholarships to African American college juniors who exemplify strong leadership abilities, and demonstrate an interest in sports, media, or entertainment. This scholarship will be awarded for the 2022-2023 academic year, and may be renewed a second year for recipients who continue to meet eligibility requirements.
- Self-identify as African American/Black/belonging to the African Diaspora, and be a US citizen or permanent resident.
- Be currently enrolled full-time as a college junior for the 2022-2023 academic year at any UNCF member institution or other accredited HBCU.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and have a demonstrated unmet financial need, as verified by the applicant’s institution.
- An official or unofficial current academic transcript.
- A written or video essay. Download the CBS Sports Essay Instructions document (on the right side of this page) for complete instructions.
- Applicants submitting video essays must also submit UNCF and CBS Sports video release forms (on the right side of this page).
- Optional: Applicants may have one letter of recommendation submitted by a non-relative to enhance their application.
Letter of Recommendation Instructions
Applicants will invite References on their Application Status page. Applicants can check the status of their Recommendation on their Application Status page. Applicants should invite an alternate Reference if the first is unresponsive. A Reference’s firewall may block the “Invite Reference” email sent through UNCF’s applicant system, which will result in the Reference not receiving the email. If this happens, the applicant must download and email the How to Submit a Letter of Recommendation document (on the right side of this page) to their Reference, which lists step-by-step instructions for submitting a recommendation without the “Invite Reference” email directions.
Additional Scholarship Information
- UNCF will contact finalists' institutions to verify their eligibility. Applicants who do not meet all listed eligibility and application requirements should not apply.
- Application materials, including letters of recommendation, will not be accepted via email.
- Unless specified above, scholarship funds will be disbursed directly to the recipient’s institution.
- For login, password, or other account issues, please contact UNCF customer support Monday-Friday from 9am-5pm EST at 202-810-0258 or email@example.com.
- Scholarship decisions will be emailed to applicants within 12 weeks of the application deadline.
- Questions about this scholarship that have not been answered above may be submitted to Brandi Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org.