Based in Denver, Colorado, Smartwool is a sock and apparel brand whose products are designed to get the most out of the inherent benefits of Merino wool and to bring comfort, confidence, and community to a life lived outside.The brand employs passion-led and purpose-driven outdoor enthusiasts who want to share the love of the outdoors with everyone. At its core, Smartwool believes it is their brand’s responsibility to use their business platform for good, specifically focused on two of the biggest societal issues of our time; protecting natural places by doing their part to combat climate change and bringing inclusion and diversity to the outdoors by ensuring that all communities feel welcome.
Developed in partnership with UNCF, the Smartwool Scholarship Program will provide 10 need-based scholarships to students attending an HBCU in North Carolina or Tennessee. All academic majors are welcome, with preference given to applicants majoring in design, fashion, finance, marketing, operations, textiles, and similar studies. Scholarship funds will be disbursed in the 2022-2023 academic year.
Applicants who do not meet all eligibility and application requirements will not be considered for this scholarship opportunity.
- Be a US citizen or legal permanent resident.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Have demonstrable engagement with the outdoors.
- Reside in, or be a permanent resident of, North Carolina or Tennessee.
- Be currently enrolled full-time and classified as a college sophomore or junior, and will be enrolled full-time and classified as a college junior or senior for the 2022-2023 academic year at any accredited HBCU in North Carolina or Tennessee.
- Have completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and have a demonstrated unmet financial need, as verified by the applicant's academic institution.
- An official or unofficial current academic transcript.
- A list of organizations and extracurricular and volunteer activities that reflect the applicant's engagement in the outdoors.
- A 1-page essay (see application for details).
Award recipients will have their contact information shared with Smartwool for ongoing communication and notifictions for potential career opportunities.
Applicants who have submitted complete applications by the deadline will be notified of scholarship decisions by September 30, 2022. Please contact Brandi Williams if you have questions about this scholarship that have not been answered above.