This merit scholarship opportunity is made available by the generous support of the HBCU Legacy Foundation in memory of Arthur and Evonne Whitmore. The application is open to full-time enrolled Black students attending a UNCF Member HBCU. Scholarship recipients will receive a $2,933.32 merit scholarship for the 2021-2022 academic year.
- Applicant must identify as Black.
- Applicant must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicant must be enrolled full-time at a UNCF Member HBCU.
- A letter of recommendation from a non-relative
- A one-page personal statement of career interest
- A most recent official or unofficial legible academic transcript.
- A completed application must be submitted and received through the UNCF scholarship application portal by the application deadline to be considered for this scholarship.
Write a one-page essay using a maximum of 500 words to convey any or all of the following:
- What details of your life (personal or family, history, people, or events) have shaped you or influenced your goals?
- When did you become interested in this field? What have you learned about the career or yourself that has stimulated your interest in the career field?
- How did you learn about this field? Were you exposed to classes, readings, work, or conversations with people?
- What personal characteristics (for example, integrity, compassion, or persistence) do you possess that would improve your prospects for success in the field or profession? Is there a way to demonstrate or document that you have these characteristics?
Letter of Recommendation Guidance
- An online submitted reference is required to complete this application.
- The reference must be made through the online application system
- The reference must be received by the application deadline date.
- Enter the recommender’s name and email into the application as early as possible
- Determine if your reference receives the invitation link.
- If the reference does not receive the link
- Provide the reference your registration id (without hyphen)
- Provide the reference your First and Last name (case and space sensitive)
- Reference instructions can be found in the supporting documents of this application.
Non-selected applicants who have submitted complete applications will receive a notification within eight weeks after the application closing date.
For assistance with submitting the reference or application, contact a UNCF Scholarships and Programs representative at 202-810-0258. The hours of operation are Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM ET.
For specific questions about The Arthur and Evonne Whitmore Scholarship, contact Martha Bryant (Martha.Bryant@uncf.org).