The John Lennon Endowed Scholarship program was established by Yoko Ono in the memory of her late husband, the entertainer John Lennon, in partnership with UNCF. The scholarship program is designed to provide scholarship support to deserving students attending one of the 37 UNCF member institutions.
Applicants for John Lennon Endowed Scholarship program must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Possess a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (“FAFSA”) form.
- Have a demonstrated, unmet financial need as verified by their college or university.
- Be enrolled full-time at any UNCF member institution,
- Majoring in Communications, Mass Communications, Mass Media Arts, Music and Performing Arts
For consideration, applicants must submit the online application complete with the following required application materials by the application due date of December 13, 2021.
- Current academic transcript.
- Two letters of recommendation, one academic and one Community or Employment.
- A maximum 300-Word essay on statement of career interest related to their field of study.
Letter of Recommendation/Reference Requirement
One letter of recommendation is required to complete this application. The recommender must be a non-relative. The letter of recommendation must be completed through the online application system; and must be received by the application due date of December 13, 2021. Emailed letters of recommendation will not be accepted.
Applicants should give the recommender ample time to complete the letter of recommendation by entering all recommender information (name and email address) as early as possible. The recommender will be sent automated instructions at the email address provided to submit the letter of recommendation in the Application System.
Applicants will receive an "Invite References" reminder, until a recommender is invited.
Award winners will receive up to $5000 based on need for academic year of 2021-2022. John Lennon Endowed Scholarship program is annually renewable based on availability of funds and provided students continue to meet the above eligibility requirement.
For additional questions, please contact Girmu Habte