The Synovus Bank/Calvin Smyre Endowed Scholarship is a scholarship program for Black students who attend colleges and universities within Synovus' regional footprint of Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, and South Carolina. The program honors Calvin Smyre, a Columbus native, who represents Columbus-Muscogee County in the Georgia House of Representatives. He was elected in 1974 and is the longest-serving member of the Georgia General Assembly.
Smyre joined Synovus in 1976 as a management trainee and retired in 2014 as executive vice president of corporate affairs.
One scholarship annually will be designated for a student enrolled at Smyre's beloved alma mater Fort Valley State University (FVSU), an HBCU in Fort Valley, Georgia, where he serves as Chairman of the FVSU Foundation.
Award funds will be disbursed in the spring 2022 semester. This scholarship may be renewed in the junior and senior years for recipients who continue to meet eligibility requirements.
We are currently only accepting applications from students attending Fort Valley State University.
- Be Black/African American, and US citizen or legal US permanent resident.
- Be currently enrolled full-time as a sophomore at Fort Valley State University for the 2021-2022 academic year.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and have a demonstrated, unmet financial need as verified by their college or university.
- Major, or intend to major, in any field applicable to banking and the financial services industry, with preference given to applicants majoring in: accounting, business administration, communications, computer science, finance, marketing, and risk management.
- Have a demonstrated commitment to community service.
- An official or unofficial current academic transcript.
- A 250-word (half page/single spaced) statement of career interest.
- A 250-word (half-page/single spaced) essay discussing what the applicant has learned from their participation in community service.
- One (1) letter of recommendation from a non-family member.
Award recipients will have their contact information shared with Synovus Bank for ongoing communication and notifictions for potential internship and job opportunities.
Letter of Recommendation Guidance
Applicants will invite references during the application process. All applicants should download and email the How to Submit a Letter of Recommendation document to their reference. The download link is on the right-hand column of this page. Emailed letters of recommendation to UNCF will not be accepted at any time.
For questions, please email Brandi Williams.