Procter and Gamble (P&G) and CVS Health, in partnership with UNCF, have developed the Rooted In Science Scholarship Program*, presented by Gold Series from Pantene and Royal Oils by Head & Shoulders. Gold Series and Royal Oils are #RootedInScience to provide superior scalp and hair care because these product lines were co-created by Black scientists, stylists, and dermatologists who understand the unique needs of textured hair. These P&G scientists have made understanding our hair their mission and legacy and want to enable the next generation of science-focused innovators.
This program awards need-based academic scholarships to Black women who are college juniors and pursuing a degree in a STEM-related discipline, with preference given to students attending an HBCU. Selected finalists will receive a scholarship of $5,000.00, renewable for up to 1 year for awardees who continue to meet program eligibility requirements.
- Be an African American/Black female.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Be currently classified as a college junior and enrolled full-time at any US-located accredited 4-year college or university.
- Be pursuing a degree program in Biology, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or Mechanical Engineering.
- Be a US citizen or legal US resident.
- Have completed the 2020-21 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and have a demonstrated unmet financial need.
Round 1: Applications must be submitted online by January 4, 2021, and must include:
- A current academic transcript.
- A 1-page essay.
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member, advisor, or professor.
Round 2: Selected semi-finalists will be contacted by January 8, 2021, and will be required to submit a 3-5 minute video responding to a series of questions about their interests in STEM. The video must be received by January 18, 2021.
All applicants who submitted complete applications will be notified of scholarship decisions by March 2021.
The applicant must submit a thoughtful 350-500 word essay that responds to these questions:
- What inspired or influenced you to study your STEM major?
- What career do you see yourself pursuing with this major and why did you select that career?
Letter of Recommendation Guidance
One letter of recommendation (LOR) is required to complete this application. The LOR must be made through the online Applicant System, and must be received by the application due date. Emailed LORs will not be accepted. Download the Supporting Document on the right side of this page for assistance.
Applicants should give the recommender ample time to complete the LOR by entering all recommender information (name and email) as early as possible. The recommender will be sent automated instructions at the email address provided to submit the LOR in the Applicant System. Applicants will receive "Invite References" reminders until a recommender is invited.
Please email Brandi Williams with any questions about this scholarship.
*Recipients of the Rooted in Science Scholarship will grant P&G and its family of brands, UNCF, and CVS Health with the right to use your materials, name, likeness and content, including video, photographs and other media to be used for publicity including, but not limited to, public relations, advertising, social media on P&G and its retailer’s owned channels, websites, newsletter articles, and e-mail communications.