Procter and Gamble (P&G) and CVS Health, in partnership with UNCF, have developed the Rooted In Science Scholarship Program, presented by Gold Series from Pantene and Royal Oils by Head & Shoulders. Gold Series and Royal Oils are #RootedInScience to provide superior scalp and hair care because these product lines were co-created by Black scientists, stylists, and dermatologists who understand the unique needs of textured hair. These P&G scientists have made understanding our hair their mission and legacy and want to enable the next generation of science-focused innovators.
The Rooted In Science Scholarship Program will award need-based scholarships to African American women pursuing a degree in a STEM-related discipline. Selected recipients must be classified as college juniors or seniors in the 2022-2023 academic year. Selected juniors will receive a $5,000 scholarship, renewable in their senior year. Selected seniors will receive a one-time $10,000 scholarship. Preference shall be given to applicants attending an HBCU. Award funds will be disbursed in the 2022-2023 academic year.
- Be an African American/Black female.
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal U.S. permanent resident.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Be currently classified as a college sophomore or junior, and will be enrolled full-time as a college junior or senior at any US-located, accredited, 4-year college or university in the 2022-2023 academic year.
- Be pursuing a degree program in biology, chemical engineering, chemistry, or mechanical engineering.
- Have completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and have a demonstrated unmet financial need.
All self-reported eligibility information will be verified. Applicants who do not meet all requirements will not be considered for this scholarship.
- An official or unofficial current academic transcript.
- A 1-page essay (see application for details).
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member, advisor, or professor.
Selected finalists will be required to submit a video essay describing their interests in STEM. Selected recipients grant UNCF, P&G and its family of brands, and CVS Health with the right to use your materials, name, likeness and content, including video, photographs and other media to be used for publicity including, but not limited to, public relations, advertising, social media on P&G and its retailer’s owned channels, websites, newsletter articles, and e-mail communications.
Letter of Recommendation
Applicants will invite references during the application process. All applicants should download and email the How to Submit a Letter of Recommendation document to their reference. The download link is on the right-hand column of this page. Emailed letters of recommendation to UNCF will not be accepted at any time.
All applicants who have submitted complete applications will be notified of scholarship decisions by June 1, 2022. Please contact Brandi Williams if you have a question about this scholarship program that has not been answered above.