Applications are now being accepted for the Virgin Galactic Black Leaders in Aerospace Scholarship and Training (BLAST) Program. Managed by Virgin Galactic’s outreach initiative, Galactic Unite, BLAST provides $5,000 scholarship awards to Black/African American undergraduate sophomores, juniors, or seniors pursuing STEM degrees with a focus on aerospace at any accredited four-year college or university in the United States. This award is renewable for returning scholars that continue to meet eligibility requirements, and reapplication may be required. Candidates must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the United States.
The selected recipients will be partnered with a mentor from Virgin Galactic. Participation in monthly soft skills training will also be strongly encouraged. To obtain your Virgin Galactic Leadership Certification, you will be required to complete an online course provided by Virgin Galactic. Selected scholars will have the opportunity to select a paid internship at a partner company including Virgin Galactic, Virgin Hyperloop, Virgin Orbit, AEye Inc., or Planet Labs, with additional opportunities available for graduates to be placed in entry-level positions.
For full award consideration, applicants should provide the following in addition to the Student Application Form:
- * Most recent academic transcript
- * Essay
- * Updated resume
- * Video submission for top 30 semi-finalists
- * Virtual interview for finalists will be required
- * A Letter of Recommendation (LOR)
* - The recommender cannot be a family member.
* - The individual recommender chosen by the student, should be an educator, academic advisor / counselor, employment supervisor, or a community leader with whom the student interacts.
* - The letter should provide key details about the interactions between the recommender and the applicant. And the recommendation should highlight the applicant’s personality, work habits, and skills.
- * Applicants should give the recommender ample time to complete the LOR by entering all recommender information (name and email) as early as possible. The LOR must be made through the online Application System and must be received by the application due date. Emailed LORs will not be accepted.
To learn more about the BLAST Program, please visit https://www.galacticunite.com/galactic-unite-aerospace-leadership-program-for-black-scholars
If you have additional questions regarding the Virgin Galactic Black Leaders in Aerospace Scholarship and Training (BLAST) Program, please contact William Dunham.