Procter and Gamble (P&G) and CVS Health, in partnership with UNCF, have developed the Rooted In Science Scholarship Program, presented by Gold Series from Pantene and Royal Oils by Head & Shoulders. Gold Series and Royal Oils are #RootedInScience to provide superior scalp and hair care because these product lines were co-created by Black scientists, stylists, and dermatologists who understand the unique needs of textured hair. These P&G scientists have made understanding our hair their mission and legacy and want to enable the next generation of science-focused innovators.
The Rooted In Science Scholarship Program awards need-based scholarships to Black female college juniors who are pursuing a degree in a STEM-related discipline, with preference given to applicants attending an HBCU. This $5,000 scholarship will be awarded for the 2021-2022 academic year, and is renewable for 1 year for recipients who continue to meet eligibility requirements. Selected recipients will have their contact information shared with P&G and CVS.
- Be an African American/Black female.
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal US resident.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Be currently classified as a college junior and enrolled full-time at any US-located accredited 4-year college or university.
- Be pursuing a degree program in biology, chemical engineering, chemistry, or mechanical engineering.
- Have completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and have a demonstrated unmet financial need.
Round 1. Application
- An official or unofficial current academic transcript.
- A 1-page essay (see application for details).
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member, advisor, or professor.
Round 2: Video Submission
Applicants selected to advance to the semifinalist round will be required to submit a 3-5 minute video discussing their interest in STEM. Selected semifinalists will be contacted by UNCF in October 2021 with video instructions and a P&G Video Release Form, and will have 2 weeks to submit both completed items to UNCF.
Recipients of the Rooted in Science Scholarship will grant P&G and its family of brands, UNCF, and CVS Health with the right to use your materials, name, likeness and content, including video, photographs and other media to be used for publicity including, but not limited to, public relations, advertising, social media on P&G and its retailer’s owned channels, websites, newsletter articles, and e-mail communications.
Letter of Recommendation Troubleshooting
Applicants will invite references during the application process, and should also email the How to Submit a Letter of Recommendation document (download link on the right of this page) to their reference for troubleshooting. Emailed letters of recommendation to UNCF will not be accepted at any time.
Applicants who have submitted complete applications will be notified of scholarship decisions by December 30, 2021. Please contact Brandi Williams with questions about this scholarship that have not been answered above.