The Spotify x PLUS1 for Black Creatives Fund Scholars Program provides renewable three-year need-based scholarships and leadership development components to eligible Black students attending HBCUs with an interest in pursuing a career in media. The application is now open for the first cohort of twenty scholarships to be awarded that will provide aid to scholars for sophomore through senior years.
The leadership development components offered to the selected scholars include an invitation to participate in UNCF’s Early Talent Opportunity Program at the end of their sophomore year and an invitation to participate in UNCF’s Student Leadership Conference at the end of their junior year.
- Be Black/African American.
- Possess a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Have a demonstrated, unmet financial need as verified by college or university.
- Have an interest in pursuing a career in media.
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (“FAFSA”) form.
- Be enrolled full-time at an accredited four-year HBCU as a second-semester freshman at the time of application.
- Be enrolled full-time at an accredited four-year HBCU as a sophomore at the time of the award.
Students shall submit an online application for the program complete with:
- A five hundred (500) - word essay on their career interest in media.
- Any involvement in community service and or leadership roles.
- A current transcript.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applicants who have submitted complete applications will be notified of scholarship decisions within 12 weeks after the application due date.
Selected students will receive a need-based award up to $5,000.00 during the 2022-2023 school year. The scholarship will be renewed in the subsequent year if the student continues to meet the criteria.
Scholarship recipients selected for the Spotify x PLUS1 for Black Creatives Fund will be included in the following annual UNCF Student Professional Development Programs:
- Early Talent Opportunity Program (ETOP): Spotify x PLUS1 Scholars will receive priority access to ETOP as rising juniors (during the summer between sophomore year and junior year). ETOP is a summer experience comprised of workshops and individual sessions designed to offer customized support for undergraduate college students who are interested in securing a valuable internship experience. Students who complete ETOP over the summer are guaranteed resources and personalized support while navigating the internship application process during their fall semester of the following academic year, also engage with industry leaders who will provide industry-specific knowledge/trends as well as insight into the internship recruitment process, and priority status for UNCF Student Professional Development Program internship applications for which they meet the eligibility criteria.
- UNCF Student Leadership Conference (SLC): Spotify x PLUS1 Scholars who secure an internship as a rising senior (during the summer between junior year and senior year) will receive the exclusive invitation to the annual UNCF Student Leadership Conference (SLC), which is a three-day professional development and leadership conference which convenes prior to the start of the summer internship. The SLC aims to provide a framework and forum for equipping students with the skill sets that they will need to be successful as interns and early career professionals.
All application materials must be received by the application deadline of June 13th, 2022. If you have questions regarding this scholarship, contact email@example.com.