In partnership with UNCF, FIRST® has developed the FIRST® x UNCF Scholars Program to identify and provide scholarship and academic support for FIRST alumni who aspire to become leaders and innovators in their respective fields. The Program will award five students with one-time scholarships in the amount of up to $10,000 and will be open for matriculated college students attending a Historically Black College or University (HBCU), Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI), Tribal College and University (TCU), or Asian-American and Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution (AANAPISI).
Click this link to review institutions identified as HBCU, HSI, TCU, AANAPISI: NASA Minority Serving Institutions (MSI) List
- Be an alum of FIRST®. Alumni status will be confirmed.
- Possess a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Be enrolled in Fall 2022 as a freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior at a four-year, U.S. located, accredited college or university that is designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution, an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution, a Tribal College, or a Historically Black College or University.
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident.
- Have completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2022-2023 academic year.
- Have a demonstrated unmet financial need as verified by their college or university.
Applications must be submitted online by the due date, and must include:
- A current academic transcript.
- Incoming Freshman, please upload your current High School Transcript
- College Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors, please upload your current Academic Transcript
- One letter of recommendation from an individual who has engaged with the student in a FIRST® program, who can provide insight into the student’s academic performance and potential for success. Recommender must identify themselves as a Mentor/Coach in the letter.
- Response to essay prompt below:
- Written response no longer that five hundred (500) words in length describing how you believe your experiences with FIRST have inspired you to meet your education and life goals. This may be an informal list or paragraph structure.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applicants who have submitted complete applications will be notified of scholarship decisions approximately 8 weeks after the application due date.
Letter of Recommendation Guidance
One letter of recommendation (LOR) is required to complete this application. The recommender must be a Mentor, Coach, or Teacher from FIRST®. The LOR must be made through the online Applicant System and must be received by the application due date. Emailed LORs will not be accepted.
Applicants should give the recommender ample time to complete the LOR by entering all recommender information (name and email) as early as possible. The recommender will be sent automated instructions at the email address provided to submit the LOR in the Applicant System. Applicants will receive "Invite References" reminders until a recommender is invited.
If you have any questions regarding this program, please contact Alesha Wilson, Relationship Manager at email@example.com