The Society for Marketing Professional Services (SMPS) has partnered with UNCF to establish the SMPS Foundation Zinsmeyer Scholarship to provide financial assistance to promising students at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU). The Society for Marketing Professional Services (SMPS) and the SMPS Foundation is a diverse community of marketing and business development professionals working together to move the Architecture/Engineering/Construction (A/E/C) industries forward. In 2020, SMPS created a Diversity and Inclusion Task Force with the purpose of increasing awareness and support diversity, equity, and inclusion in the membership, marketing profession, and our members’ firms.
As an organization, they realize and understand the lack of representation in the A/E/C industries; however, this does not mean that there should not be more diversity in our industry. Research shows that Black workers are underrepresented in industries that typically have higher wages and job growth opportunities, such as professional services marketing and other professional service industries. We plan to help bridge this gap by not only supporting students on their academic journey, but also to provide them with mentorship and leadership from some of our marketing and business development leaders, to broaden their horizons, expose them to our industry, and allow them to tap into our professional lives as leaders and groundbreakers in our organizations.
SMPS would like to honor, recognize, and thank Andy Zinsmeyer (SMPS co-founder and member #1) for his generous donation to the SMPS Foundation. Zinsmeyer’s donation was specifically gifted to create strategies to increase diversity and opportunities in SMPS and the marketing profession. His lead gift of $25,000 has made this scholarship possible. Zinsmeyer has been the foundation’s top supporter for many years.
The SMPS Foundation Zinsmeyer Scholarship will focus on the selected fields of architecture, construction management, engineering, marketing, mass communication, and public relations. The candidates must be enrolled as undergraduates during the 2022-2023 Academic year. If selected, a one-time scholarship in the amount of $1,500 will be disbursed to the HBCU that the awardee attends.
- Must be classified as an African-American, who is attending one of the Historically Black Colleges or Universities (HBCUs).
- Must be classified as a sophomore, junior, or senior during the 2022-2023 Academic year.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Be a citizen, national, or permanent resident of the U.S.
- File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (“FAFSA”) form.
- Have a demonstrated, unmet financial need as verified by their college or university.
- Preference shall be given to candidates majoring in architecture, construction management, engineering, marketing, mass communication and public relations.
For full award consideration, students must complete the online application by October 20, 2022.
- Applicants must submit via UNCF’s online scholarship application portal. All parts of the application must be completed and submitted by the deadline.
- Essay – Applicants must submit a one-page personal statement online, regarding the student’s career goals or interest.
- A current transcript.
- A letter of recommendation from a non-family member.
Letter of Recommendation Guidance
A letter of recommendation (LOR) is required to complete this application. The recommender must be a non-relative. The LOR must be made through the online Application System and must be received by the application due date. Emailed LORs will not be accepted.
Applicants should give the recommender ample time to complete the LOR by entering all recommender information (name and email) as early as possible. The recommender will be sent automated instructions at the email address provided to submit the LOR in the Applicant System. Applicants will receive "Invite References" reminders until a recommender is invited.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please contact William Dunham (William.Dunham@uncf.org) if you have questions or comments.