Based in Denver, Colorado, Smartwool is a sock and apparel brand whose products are designed to get the most out of the inherent benefits of Merino wool and to bring comfort, confidence, and community to a life lived outside.The brand employs passion-led and purpose-driven outdoor enthusiasts who want to share the love of the outdoors with everyone. At its core, Smartwool believes it is their brand’s responsibility to use their business platform for good, specifically focused on two of the biggest societal issues of our time; protecting natural places by doing their part to combat climate change and bringing inclusion and diversity to the outdoors by ensuring that all communities feel welcome.
In partnership with UNCF, Smartwool has developed the Smartwool - Go far. Feel good. Scholarship Program to provide 10 need-based scholarships to rising college juniors and seniors from North Carolina and Tennessee. All academic majors are welcome, with preference given to applicants majoring in design, fashion, finance, marketing, operations, textiles, and similar studies.
- Be currently classified as a college sophomore or junior.
- Be enrolled full-time for the 2021-2022 academic year at any accredited HBCU or UNCF member instutition in North Carolina or Tennesee.
- Be a permanent resident of North Carolina or Tennessee.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Have completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and have a demonstrated unmet financial need, as verified by the applicant's academic institution.
Application Must Include:
- An official or unofficial current academic transcript.
- Two (2) thoughtful 1-page essays, each responding to one of the following topics:
- Your interest and passion for the outdoors and the natural environment, addressing how you have been engaged in the outdoors through academic, extracurricular, and volunteer activities.
- A description of how you exemplify one of Smartwool's values (action, advocacy, inclusivity, fun-loving, and openness), as they are a critical part of Smartwool's culture and philosophy.
Applicants who have submitted complete applications by the deadline will be notified of scholarship decisions by August 31, 2021. Please contact Brandi Williams with questions about this scholarship that have not been answered above.