This Fund was established in honor of Harvey Gantt and Hugh McColl. The Fund's purpose is to provide financial assistance in the form of annually renewable, need-based scholarships to students who have a permanent residence in North Carolina to get to and through college.
Applicants for the program must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Possess a minimum cumulative weighted grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid ("FAFSA") form.
- Have a demonstrated unmet, financial need as verified by their college or university.
- Be a permanent resident of North Carolina and a high school senior graduating from a public high school in Mecklenburg County, NC.
- Enroll in any U.S. located, accredited, four year college or university of the student's choosing.
- Students may major in any discipline.
Program applicants must submit an online application for the Program
- Provide a letter of recommendation
- Include a 500-word personal statement responding to the following prompt: "Please discuss your future goals and aspirations, as well as why you will benefit from receiving the scholarship."
- Submit a current transcript
- Provide a letter of admission and financial aid offer from the college or university that the student plans to attend
- Submit a copy of the student's full (all pages) Student Aid Report from the FAFSA.
Application materials will be available via UNCF's website at www.uncf.org. All application materials must be received by the applicable deadline.
Recipients may be eligible for up to three additional years of scholarship funds. Eligible students shall be notified.
Renewal students must:
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Have annually completed a FAFSA form.
- Continue to demonstrate unmet financial need as verified by their college or university.
- Continue to be enrolled as a full-time student at any
- U.S. located, accredited, four-year college or university.
A student who fails to meet the renewal criteria will be placed on probation and given one semester's grace period, while funded, to come into compliance. Should the student fail to come into compliance, the Program Manager will coordinate with the Charlotte Area Office staff to discuss the student's case. If the student is deemed no longer be eligible for the scholarship, the student will be removed, and another student who meets the qualifications will be selected to complete the terms of the scholarship, or in the instance of a brief remaining term, the remaining funds will return to the Program.
Letter of Recommendation/Reference
A letter of recommendation is needed to complete this application. The recommender should be a non-relative. The letter of recommendation needs to be completed through the online application system by the application due date. Emailed letters of recommendation will not be accepted.
Applicants should give the recommender ample time to complete the letter of recommendation by entering all recommender information (name and email address) as early as possible. The recommender will be sent automated instructions at the email address provided to submit the letter of recommendation in the Application System.
Applicants will receive an "Invite References" reminder, until a recommender is invited.
For additional questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org