The Angela and Reginald Goins Scholarship is a need-based scholarship for full-time, undergraduate students attending a four-year HBCU. Eligible students must reside in or be a permanent resident of New York City, Chicago or metro Detroit (Michigan Counties of Lapeer, Livingston, Macomb, Oakland, St. Clair or Wayne.)
Applicants for the Angela and Reginald Goins Scholarship must meet the following eligibility requirements
1) Possess a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale;
2) Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form;
3) Have a demonstrated, unmet financial need as verified by your college or university;
4) Reside or be a permanent resident of New York City, Chicago, or metro Detroit (Michigan Counties of Lapeer, Livingston, Macomb, Oakland, St. Clair or Wayne);
5) Be an undergraduate enrolled full-time at any accredited four-year HBCU beginning Fall 2021.
For consideration, applicants must submit the online application complete with the following required application materials by the application due date of September 1, 2021.
- Current academic transcript.
- One letter of recommendation from a professor or community leader.
- Essay on your involvement in extra-curricular activities and the community.
Letter of Recommendation/Reference
One letter of recommendation is required to complete this application. The recommender must be a non-relative. The letter of recommendation must be completed through the online Applicant System and must be received by the application due date of September 1, 2021. Emailed letters of recommendation will not be accepted.
Applicants should give the recommender ample time to complete the letter of recommendation by entering all recommender information (name and email) as early as possible. The recommender will be sent automated instructions at the email address provided to submit the letter of recommendation in the Applicant System. Applicants will receive "Invite References" reminders until a recommender is invited.
Selected recipients will receive $5,000 one-time, need-based scholarship award in the fall 2021.
For consideration, students must submit an application for the program that includes a letter of reference. All application materials must be received by the application deadline of September 1, 2021.
If you have questions, please contact Wayne Wilson.