The Bryant X. Phelps Endowed Scholarship Program was established to provide a need-based scholarship program to support Black students from Texas.
Application Criteria Requirement
Applicants for the program must meet the following criteria below.
- Be Black/African American.
- Possess a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale.
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (“FAFSA”) form. Have a demonstrated, unmet financial need as verified by their college or university.
- Be a permanent resident of Texas.
- Be enrolled full-time at any U.S. located accredited, four-year institution, with preference given to students attending Morehouse College, Clark Atlanta University, Spelman College, Huston-Tillotson University, Prairie View A&M University, and Texas Tech University.
Students shall submit an online application for the program complete with:
1. A letter of recommendation
2. A 500-word essay answering the question, “What motivates you to desire higher education?”
3. A current transcript
Letter of Recommendation / Reference Instructions
A non-relative letter of recommendation (LOR) is required to complete this application. The LOR must be made through the online Applicant System and must be received by the application due date. Emailed LORs will not be accepted. Applicants should give the recommender ample time to complete the LOR by entering all recommender information (name and email) as early as possible. The recommender will be sent automated instructions at the email address provided to submit the LOR in the Applicant System. Applicants will receive "Invite References" reminders until a recommender is invited. If the recommender did not receive the automated instructions, they can follow the attached instruction on the right hand panel of this page to write and submit the letter of recommendation.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applicants who have submitted complete applications will be notified of scholarship decisions within 12 weeks after the application due date.
Selected students will receive up to a $4,400.00 need-based award during the 2022-2023 school year. All application materials must be received by the application deadline of June 30, 2022. If you have questions regarding this scholarship, contact firstname.lastname@example.org