The Walt Disney Company UNCF Corporate Scholars Program, supported by a $1 million commitment from The Walt Disney Company, provides scholarships to high-achieving African American students in underserved communities across the country, and offers career readiness tools and resources necessary to help them realize their professional goals in the entertainment industry.
The Walt Disney Company UNCF Corporate Scholars will be selected based on a competitive application process administered by UNCF.
A detailed description of the scholarship opportunity and program are provided below.
The goals of The Walt Disney Company UNCF Corporate Scholars Program are to help create a diverse pipeline of college educated professionals poised to assume fulfilling off-camera careers in entertainment, and to help increase the number of underrepresented minorities employed in the entertainment industry.
* Underrepresented African American freshmen, enrolled full-time at a four-year college or university
* Preference will be given to students attending a Historically Black College or University (HBCU)
* Students must have a demonstrated financial need as verified by their college or university
* Students must have a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale
* Students must have an interest in pursuing an off-camera career in the entertainment industry (e.g. film, television, hospitality management, journalism, media production, digital media, etc.) as demonstrated by submission of an initial essay.
Scholarship Assistance - Freshmen students selected for The Walt Disney Company UNCF Corporate Scholars Program will receive a $1000 scholarship, which is eligible for a graduated scholarship renewal for an additional three years up to $5000, based on financial need and participation in program components.
Career Navigator - UNCF is committed to preparing scholars to be top professionals in their career of choice. Therefore, The Walt Disney Company UNCF Corporate Scholars Program will include the creation of a Career Navigator. This web-based platform will provide both career information and tools to a broad network of African American students, as well as targeted support services to The Walt Disney Company UNCF Corporate Scholars scholarship recipients. The platform, to be launched this fall, will help students develop requisite skills and navigate the transition from college to early-stage careers. Web-based and facilitated learning modules will introduce students to the broad spectrum of careers within the entertainment industry. Scholars will also have the opportunity to apply for Disney internships.
Mentorship - Rising juniors and seniors in The Walt Disney Company UNCF Corporate Scholars Program will be provided mentorship opportunities and career planning assistance. Engagement will occur through the Career Navigator platform and/or in person, when plausible. Scholars will receive career readiness and road mapping assistance from their mentor.
Career Planning - Career planning assistance will provide all participating students with resume building tips, coaching for job interviews, and additional workplace readiness development to help inform and direct their post-college transition into the workforce.
To be eligible, students must submit the following:
1. Student Application (include essay, transcript, leadership, accomplishments)
2. Reference Form