The Ralph and Fanny Ellison Scholarship was established to financially support college students who are from NYC studying English or Music. Candidates for this scholarship are expected to be involved in school and community leadership and have exhibited qualities of high character and integrity. Applicants must be permanent residents of New York City. High School seniors are ineligible for consideration.
For award consideration, applicants must meet the following requirements by the application deadline:
1. An official grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
2. Must be classified as a college freshman at the time of application and enrolled full time at any accredited college or university with preference given to students at HBCU's.
3. A 500-word personal essay that describes the legacy of Ralph Ellison and his impact on the world today.
4. Applicants are required to complete the FAFSA and demonstrate an unmet financial need as verified by the financial aid office of your institution.
5. Student must be a Literature/English or Music Major.
6. Student Application and a Reference Form must be submitted by the deadline.
Letter of Recommendation/Reference
A recommendation form from a professor is required to complete this application. The reference form must be completed through the online application system by the application due date of May 2, 2022. Emailed letters of recommendation will not be accepted.
Applicants should give the recommender ample time to complete the letter of recommendation by entering all recommender information (name and email address) as early as possible. The recommender will be sent automated instructions at the email address provided to submit the letter of recommendation in the Application System. Should the recommender not receive the automated instruction through their email address, they can follow the attached instructions, to the right-hand side, under supporting documents, to write and summit the letter of reference.
Scholarship Awards will be disbursed in August 2022 for the 2022-23 Academic Year
If you have any questions, please email Kenya Gray.