The Minneapolis MLK Legacy Scholarship Program was established by the General Mills Foundation in partnership with UNCF. The scholarship will include renewable need-based awards to students who are permanent residents of the city of Minneapolis.
This scholarship will provide a renewable award of up to $4,812.00 for 4 years beginning in the 2018-2019 academic school year.
The program is open to applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Possess a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid ("FAFSA")form
- Have a demonstrated, unmet financial need as verified by college or university
- Reside or be a permanent resident of the city of Minneapolis
- Be a U.S. citizen who is African American or Hispanic.
- Be an entering freshman who, in priority order, has been accepted and who is planning to enroll full-time at any UNCF member institution, other Historically Black Colleges or Universities or an accredited four-year institution.
- Complete the student online application
- Submit a one-page personal statement of career interest
- Provide a current unofficial or official transcript
- Submit one (1) letter of recommendation
To renew the scholarship you must:
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Continue to have a demonstrated, unmet financial need as verified by or university
- Be enrolled full-time at an accredited four-year institution
- Continue to have permanent residence of the city of Minneapolis
Please Note the Following Guidelines on "How to Invite Reference/Recommender?"
One letter of recommendation is required for a complete application. The recommender must not be related to you. The recommendation form must be submitted before or by the deadline.
In order to give your recommender the maximum amount of time to submit his/her recommendation, you should enter all information for your recommender (name and e-mail) as early as possible. This Application System will remind you to "Invite References" until your recommender has been invited. This generates an e-mail to your recommender notifying him/her of your application and request for his/her recommendation. For assistance with reference, please see the attached supporting document to the right.
If you have any questions, please email Jeff Darden II